How do you know if you have gnats in your house? We’ve all been there: you forget to throw away that old fruit or take out the garbage, and your kitchen becomes plagued with gnats.
But, before you begin eliminating gnats, you must first ensure that the bugs in your home are, in fact, gnats. Numerous winged pests can enter your home, similar to fruit flies.
How do you know if you have gnats in your house?
You might not have to look far to discover gnats in your house. When there is an infestation, you will see a significant number of them flying around near rotten fruit, rubbish, and wet locations. Check for gnats in areas of your home where there may be water damage, such as a leaky roof or crawlspace.
Gnats may also bother your pet. This frequently occurs outside when your dog or cat is playing and comes into contact with a swarm. Gnats also live in contaminated soil outside and in potted plants where dampness and fungus can grow.
Slide a few potato wedges into the ground and keep them there for a few days to look for fungus gnat larvae in your yard and plants. Then, pull them out to look for larvae; if you find any, the soil is tainted.
Gnats: What Do They Look Like?
Adult gnats usually are less than a quarter-inch long and can be yellowish, tan, or dark brown in appearance. Gnats are characterized by their long legs and are poor fliers. The common gnat can typically be identified by witnessing swarms of gnats at dusk; these are the species’ males gathering in mating groups.
What Attracts Gnats to the House?
The existence of favored food sources, moisture, protection, and decomposing organic matter are factors that produce a suitable environment for gnats, as they are for many other insects and pests. To remove gnats, the sources of their invasion must be eliminated. The following are a number of the reasons for gnat infestation:
- Fungal gnats prefer moist soil. They grow under mulch, damp earth, and contaminated earthen pots.
- Decomposing organic matter: Gnats breed in waste and sewage from malfunctioning pipes and drains that allow organic wastes to build up in the soil.
- Fruit flies and moth flies are drawn to overripe fruits and vegetables because they are moist organic stuff.
What is the lifespan of a gnat infestation?
A gnat infestation can remain as long as warm weather and food and moisture are available. Gnats generally die in frigid temperatures but flourish in 75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Gnats can survive indoors throughout the winter if they find a warm, moist environment.
How to keep Gnats away from your own home?
To keep gnats away from your home, make it unappealing to them. Gnats will struggle to survive if moisture, food, and shelter are removed. No food or dirty dishes should be left out overnight.
Keep food that can attract gnats away from your sink and kitchen area. Take out your trash frequently and make sure that each wastebasket is covered.
Please make it a habit of regularly wiping out your garbage to eliminate foul odors and rotten food juices that gnats enjoy. If your home has any leaks or damp spots, address them as quickly as possible.
Several strategies for casting off gnats, with five of the most efficient methods mentioned below. If you have a significant gnat infestation, you may need to use more than one of these strategies to eliminate the pests.
- Construct a fruit trap. Perforated plastic wrap can be used to cover a jar of rotting fruit. Gnats will enter the pot and become trapped inside.
- Pour diluted bleach down the drain of the sink or tub. Pour a cup of diluted bleach down the drains to kill gnats if you spot them around your kitchen sink or bathtub.
- Make a vinegar trap out of apple cider vinegar. In a bowl, whisk together a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a few drops of dish soap, and a tablespoon of sugar. Place your bowl in a place with many gnats, such as the kitchen or the restroom. Gnats might be attracted to the sugar and apple cider vinegar combination, and the dish soap will capture and drown them.
- Interact with the offerings of a professional pest control company. An expert pest manipulation firm permits you to eliminate a continual gnat infestation. The pinnacle pest control firms treat gnat larvae and adult gnats, and they may build a customized treatment plan for your house.
- Construct a candle trap. Fill a candlestick halfway with water and place a candle inside. Turn off the lights and melt the candle. The gnats will fly to the flame and be burned or drowned if they fall into the water.
Gnats are frequent household pests attracted to wet environments and rotting food. Remove everything that attracts gnats from your homes, such as rotten fruit, low-quality potting soil, dirty dishes, and decaying rubbish, to keep them away.
Setting a sticky gnat trap or a natural gnat trap at home can also help limit the number of gnats and infestations as you deal with the problem.
Outside, gnats are drawn to poor soil with poor drainage. Aerate your grass once a year, replace poor soil with fresh dirt, and apply a pesticide to the ground to fix the problem.