Peppermint oil is a popular household product that is used to clean surfaces and fight bad smells. Some people also use it to kill bugs. Is peppermint oil effective at killing roaches?
Yes, peppermint oil can kill roaches. It has a strong smell and sting, which is likely why it has been used in households for so long. Roaches are sensitive to the smell and sting of peppermint oil, so it will kill them.
Can it, however, be a successful natural cockroach control method? Before you start cleaning out every surface, let’s see what we can find out. Learn everything there is to know about Peppermint Oil for Roaches by scrolling on.
Do Essential Oils Work for Cockroaches?
Essential oils are well-known for their fragrant properties. However, it wasn’t until later that homeowners recognized they might be utilized as a natural cockroach deterrent.
According to studies, not only do essential oils seem to be effective at repelling cockroaches, but the roaches also don’t develop a resistance to them over time.
Primarily, essential oils are a natural, non-toxic way to get rid of cockroaches. They work because the strong fragrance irritates these tiny creepers, forcing them to move elsewhere.
The aroma produced by utilizing essential oils as a cockroach repellant inhibits the insects from accessing the treated area.
Additionally, the essential oils have been evaluated and found to have low toxicity in humans, making them safe to use at home.
Does Peppermint Oil Repel Roaches?
Most roach species, such as American and German cockroaches, are repellent to peppermint oil; this is particularly due to the toxicity of this compound.
Toxicity of Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is poisonous to animals. Excessive use can result in renal failure and other major health problems. However, it requires using a substantial amount to experience these adverse effects.
As for the effect of this essential oil on reaches, studies show peppermint oil is harmful to cockroaches, which is why it’s such a popular choice for individuals looking for a natural way to get rid of roaches.
- The powerful aroma will repel the roaches and force them away from your home when you mix a small amount with a carrier oil or water.
- When you use a larger amount, you’ll get a more effective insect killer that will kill any roaches it comes into contact with.
Therefore, because the bugs are aware that peppermint oil will kill them, they flee when they smell it. If they decide to stay, the oil will kill them eventually.
How Does Peppermint Oil Repel Roaches?
The powerful fragrance of peppermint oil is something that everyone agrees on. It’s an energizing scent that’s both distinct and strong.
However, is it enough to get rid of roaches? Several studies and investigations indicate that this is the case.
The Scientific Evidence:
The Researchers at Auburn University conducted a study (2001) to test the efficacy of peppermint oil as a roach repellent. The study lasted 14 days, and 100% of the roaches were repelled, indicating that peppermint oil effectively deterred these pests.
The study also found that mint oil was not harmful to humans or pets. It also has the additional advantage of freshening up the entire room rapidly!
Does Peppermint Oil Kill Roaches?
Like most essential oils, Peppermint oil does not have the toxicity required to kill cockroaches directly; it alone will not kill roaches that approach it; it will only keep them at bay.
However, it was discovered that solutions containing more than 3% peppermint oil killed roaches, but only when exposed to it continuously and directly.
As a result, if you want to kill roaches with peppermint oil, you’ll need to expose them to a mint oil solution for an extended period.
How to Mix Peppermint Oil for Roaches
Peppermint oil is a natural insecticide that can be used to get rid of roaches. The active ingredient in peppermint oil is menthone, which disrupts the nervous system of the roach and causes it to die.
- To mix peppermint oil for roaches, you need a spray bottle, water, and peppermint essential oil.
- First, fill the spray bottle with 1/4 teaspoon of water and add 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Shake well and spray liberally around your home where you have seen roaches.
If you’re using the oil to get rid of roaches in your home, spray it around baseboards, door frames, and other areas where you’ve seen the bugs.
How to Make Peppermint Spray for Roach Control?
Now that you know the effectiveness of peppermint oil, the next step is to use peppermint oil to drive roaches away.
Making and administering peppermint spray is the best way to achieve this. What’s more, it is a rather simple activity, as peppermint spray can be made using common household goods.
That being said, if you’re wondering how to make a spray solution out of peppermint oil, here are some typical peppermint solutions that you may use as sprays to get rid of roaches in your home.
Peppermint and Vinegar
There are various ways to get rid of roaches, including utilizing peppermint oil and vinegar. When mixed together, these two ingredients create a powerful repellent that can help get rid of roaches quickly and easily.
Mix two parts water with 1 part white vinegar in a spray bottle, and spritz it around your house where you’ve seen roaches or where they’re likely to hide.
Be sure to test this mixture in an inconspicuous place before using it all over your home, as peppermint oil can be harmful to some surfaces.
Peppermint oil and Listerine
Roaches detest peppermint oil, but did you know they also despise Listerine?
In fact, one study showed that when peppermint oil and Listerine are mixed together, they create a spray that is deadly to 99% of the roaches. Moreover, the menthol content in Listerine is particularly good at repelling and killing roaches.
To make a peppermint oil and Listerine solution, combine one cup of Listerine with a cup of water, then add 3-4 drops of mint oil. Mix it thoroughly, then spray it as needed around the infested sections of the house.
Peppermint oil and water
Peppermint oil is a good roach repelling solution. It can be mixed with water and sprayed around the house to keep roaches away.
In order to create a mint oil and water mixture for roaches, mix 15 drops of peppermint oil with 10 ounces of water.
Spraying this solution around the infested areas multiple times is often the best way to get rid of these pests.
Effective Methods for Using Essential Oils to Treat Roaches
There are two effective options for getting rid of cockroaches.
- To begin, fill the spray bottle with your Peppermint spray. This mixture should be sprayed all around your kitchen and bathroom. Pay attention to your cabinets and counters, the insides of your cabinets, and the areas around pipes. If there are any pipes in those areas, spray them as well. Use the combination in closets and furniture, as well as other locations where roaches can reside and hide.
- Another way to go about it is to use cotton balls. After you’ve produced the peppermint mixture, put a few cotton balls in a basin and let them absorb the liquid. The cotton balls can then be put throughout your home in roach-infested areas. Peppermint oil, despite its strength, quickly wears off. Add a few drops every night to continue repelling and killing roaches.
How to Use Peppermint Spray for Cockroach Control?
Cockroaches are nocturnal, implying they prefer to come out at night when fewer humans and other predators are around. These bugs will reside in multiple locations if you have a large infestation.
When using peppermint oil to kill roaches, concentrate on the areas where you saw the bugs and where they live.
The regions where roaches are most likely to initiate an infestation include:
- Around and behind the cupboards
- Any dark nooks or crannies in the house
- Bathroom corners
- Attics and other rooms that aren’t being used
- Any minor cracks or holes in the wall
- Drains in the kitchen and bathroom
- Drain pipes and toilet bowls
- Behind refrigerators and under sinks
Squirt the solution around these areas several times to keep the roaches at bay. Apply the peppermint solution at least once a day to receive the maximum benefit.
It will keep the filthy roaches from crawling all over the place and give it a pleasant odor.
Be careful where you spray the oil.
- It’s best not to spray it on wood or cloth that the water or oil could damage.
- Don’t spray peppermint oil on the floor where you’ll be walking if you’re using an oil carrier. It may become extremely slick.
- Spraying near gadgets and electrical outlets should be avoided.
How Long Does Peppermint Oil Work?
Peppermint oil is a great way to get rid of roaches. It’s natural, and it works well. However, you will need to reapply it frequently, as it is effective, but only after using it more than once.
Furthermore, you should continue using peppermint oil until all of the bugs are gone. It may take a few days for them to die, but you will eventually get rid of them.
Precautions for Using Peppermint Oil Cockroach Spray
When using peppermint oil as a cockroach spray, you should take a few precautions.
- Peppermint oil can cause allergic reactions in some people, so test it on a small area before spraying it liberally.
- Avoid spraying near food or in areas where you will be eating.
- Do not use it on furniture or other surfaces that you come into contact with regularly.
- Make sure to keep peppermint oil out of reach of children and pets; do not spray it around them
- Furthermore, it is important to take precautions to avoid exposure. Wear gloves and safety glasses when handling peppermint oil to protect your skin and eyes. If you are going to be using peppermint oil in an enclosed space, ensure there is good ventilation so that you do not breathe in the fumes.
- Finally, test an inconspicuous area before spraying to ensure the oil does not damage the surface.
Pest Control for Roaches
Although peppermint oil is a popular home remedy for getting rid of roaches, it is actually much more efficient and permanent to hire a professional exterminator. Peppermint oil may kill some roaches, but it will not eliminate the entire population.
Furthermore, if there are any eggs present, they will hatch, and the infestation will start again. A licensed exterminator can completely eliminate the roach problem and prevent it from returning.
Peppermint oil is one of the most effective essential oils to repel roaches. It’s a natural substance with a long list of advantages. It is, for example, free of dangerous chemicals, simple to use, and inexpensive.
However, while peppermint oil can work as a temporary solution for roaches, it is always better to call in an exterminator for a serious infestation. The exterminator will have the proper tools and knowledge to get rid of the roaches for good.
What does peppermint oil keep at bay?
According to the study, menthol is just as effective as DEET at repelling mosquitos. Peppermint oil also benefits from being an effective antibacterial, notably against E. coli and S. aureus.
When It Comes To Roaches, How Often Should You Spray Peppermint Oil?
Simply spray our cockroach control solution in the afflicted areas of your home. This will keep cockroaches from your carport, kitchen, bathroom, and vehicle. Rehash the cycle every 2-3 days for the greatest results. Take back control of your home and keep the bugs at bay!
What are essential oils effective against roaches?
Peppermint oil, oregano oil, and catnip oil are the greatest essential oils for repelling insects. Roach Killing Essential Oils The finest essential oils for getting rid of bugs are rosemary, cedar, and eucalyptus.